Seasons of the Moon

Volume 14 Issue 1
Samhain 2016

Seasons of the Moon is a quarterly online magazine published by students and members of The Order of The White Moon, an eclectic international order of women dedicated to The Goddess. The Order provides personal empowerment and priestess training, and operates local groups. All contributions are original material submitted by our students and members. (We do not accept outside contributions.) Please direct comments and questions to the Ezine Editor.

Seasons Of The Moon Editor and Council:
Ajna DreamsAwake
Ka Wahine Ahi, Kerritwyn Ceannaire, Peace Whitehorse, Etain Feohwynn, Mystic Amazon, Maeve Cliodhna MoonBird, Literata

Samhain 2016

Contents

Back to top.

Goddess Work

The Cailleach

The Cailleach is the Celtic Goddess who rules from Hallowmas to Candlemas (Samhain to Imbolc). Her name literally means the "Veiled One" which suggest a connection to hidden realms. She is "the Old Woman of the Moors", and is considered to be the most ancient of deities.

The Cailleach is a Goddess of winter, the cold, wind, and tempests. She carries a slachdan (wand of power) which brings frost and snow wherever it strikes. She also uses Her wand to transform rain into sleet and snow.

In Scottish mythology, She is the ancient Goddess who created the landscape, fashioning the mountains to resemble Her breasts. It is said that She carried earth and stones in a basket on her back. Hills, cairns and megaliths were created from the stones which fell from Her basket. She is a Goddess of waters in the form of rivers, lakes, marshes and seas.

The Cailleach sometimes assumes the shape of maritime birds such as gulls, eagles, herons or cormorants. She may also take on the shape of deer or wild pigs.

Mountain springs were sacred to Her and She would visit them to renew her strength. The greatest of these was the Whirlpool of Coire Bhreacain (Cauldron of the Plaid) on the west coast of Scotland. The legends say that She would wash Her plaid in the whirlpool for three days. When She was done, the Plaid would be purest white and the land would be covered in snow.

The Cailleach is a Goddess of transformation and regeneration, of endings and beginnings. She is an excellent Goddess to work with at Samhain. In some traditions, Samhain is considered the New Year, when the cycles of nature begin once more. Honour Her by "sniggling the Cailleach" (making a corn dolly from the last sheaf of the crop). The corn dolly representing the Cailleach will protect your home through the cold dark months ahead.

Under patriarchy, the once wild and untamed Cailleach was transformed into an unhappy, and powerless "Old Wife". This ancient Goddess, the first born, was no longer venerated, but instead viewed as weak and powerless. Yet every year at this time, when the cold winds blow in from the seas, and the days grow shorter, the fearsome Cailleach returns. She is a force to be reckoned with, striking fear in the hearts of those who would deny Her true nature.

http://www.suppressedhistories.net/secrethistory/crones.html

© Ajna DreamsAwake

Ajna DreamsAwake is a High Priestess and founder of Dark Moon's Heart School.  Her personal journey of self-discovery continues as she supports and guides women along their own healing paths.

Back to top.

Ritual Work

A Ritual to Honor Becoming a Crone

Gather four candles:
White for the Maiden
Red for the Mother
Gold, Yellow or Orange for the Queen
Black or Navy Blue for the Crone.

Gather red ribbons and/or red stones to put on your altar or wherever you will perform the ritual. Anything red that you wish to put on the altar will be good, because this is to honor your times of menstruation from the past. It is also to celebrate becoming a Crone and keeping your blood inside to fuel the wisdom of your age and magick. Once you have everything together, then Cast your Circle.

You can put appropriate oils and herbs on the candles to honor the different stages of women and the goddesses that are associated with them. You may chant the poem three times. You are praising both the goddesses that have helped you, and your own self and the paths you have been on, to learn about life and attain wisdom. Remember you are becoming more of a woman, not less. You will keep your desire and gain in wisdom and joy.

Visualize yourself becoming a magical, wise person and all the lessons you have learned. If you have goddess statues, they will be appropriate for your altar. And incense, perhaps one that honors Hecate. Then thank the Goddesses and close your Circle.

The Crone Chant

From the Maiden and Mother
Then to the Queen
And now to the Crone,
Are the paths I have been.

Red, Red, garnets of fire…
O the blood stays inside,
But still strong within me
Is a woman's desire.

Bringing red ribbons
And garnets for blood
Past all monthly bleeding
And the changes of mood.

Red, Red, garnets of fire…
O the blood stays inside,
But still strong within me
Is a woman's desire.

© Copyright 5/31/07
Beth Johnson
(Mystic Amazon)

Mystic Amazon is a High Priestess of the Order of the White Moon and an Ordained Minister, currently teaching at Sisters of the Rising Moon School. Her hobbies include writing, folk art, folk magick, Reiki, and reading.

Back to top.

Samhain Altar

Samhain is the last Harvest in the year, marking the end of summer and beginning of autumn. The transition times of the year, like spring and autumn, point to the cyclic nature of life itself. Samhain is celebrated at the 11th dark moon of the year. Traditionally this was the date when the young witches were initiated. There are sources for numerology that connect the number 11 to Light, in occultism the number 11 is connected to Daath ‐ the hidden Sephira in the Tree of Life.

Anyway, a new moon energy encourages us and inspires us for new beginnings and I feel that Samhain is the perfect time for a strong commitment to walk a new path in life.

© M)O(rrigan

Back to top.

Yule Altar

The winter solstice is the first step into the light, from the darkest night of the year. The difference may not be recognisable to us immediately but from this day on light and life are growing.

Incense recipe

Put the raisins in some red wine and let them soak for 7 days. Grind sandarac, mastic, frankincense (Oman first choice if possible), benzoin Siam, and the juniper berries, then grin the raisins separately (press them beforehand so that they are not too wet from the wine). Now add the cinnamon and mix all ingredients well ‐ the consistency is right when you can form tiny cookies to put on the charcoal.

© M)O(rrigan

My name is M)O(rrigan. I am a Priestess of Morrigan and practice Shamanism, Runes, Tarot and Usui Reiki. I am a sister in The Sacred Three Goddess School.

Back to top.

Sacred Sites

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis, in the Scottish Highlands, is the tallest mountain in the British Isles. Standing at 1,346 metres (4,414 feet) above sea level, "the Ben" is an imposing figure on the landscape.

Ben Nevis was once an active volcano and one can still see the remains of the collapsed dome at its peak. A meteorological observatory was erected on the summit in 1883 and was in use until 1904, when it was abandoned. Although the site is now in ruins, the data collected a century ago provided valuable information on mountain climate which is still relevant today.

Ben Nevis is the English translation of the Gaelic "Beinn Nibheis" (beinn = mountain, nibheis = malicious or furious). An alternate translation is "Mountain of Heaven". One can easily see how this awe‐inspiring place could be thought of as the dwelling of that most revered and feared Goddess, the Cailleach.

The Cailleach is known as the "Old Woman of the Moors". From Her, all things were created, including the mountains, whose shape reflects Her own breasts. The Cailleach rules from Samhain to Imbolc, at which time She releases Bride (the Maiden aspect of the Cailleach) from Her prison at Ben Nevis.

It is from Ben Nevis that the Cailleach takes the name Nicnevin (Nic = daughter). Her titles include "Queen of the Fairies" and "Queen of the Witches". Nicnevin is usually depicted as a beautiful woman or an ancient crone. She is a Goddess of protection, peace, ghosts, magick and divination, and the onset of winter. Her symbols are pumpkins, gourds, geese and magick wands. She can transform water into stone or ice with Her wand and wears a grey cape, symbolic of the frost and ice She spreads across the land. Sadly, as with so many other powerful Goddesses, Nicnevin was vilified by patriarchy and eventually relegated to the role of Fairy or demon.

Samhain is sacred to Nicnevin and She can be called upon to grant wishes, answer petitions or assist in bringing peace to a troubled relationship. On Samhain night, Nicnevin can be found riding a storm, surrounded by Her followers. With Her wand, She transforms the lands below. Where once was lush fertility, there is now only frost and death. Her arrival is heralded by the honking of geese.

Although the home of the Cailleach appears to be all‐powerful, its fragile ecosystem is under threat by human activity. The Nevis Landscape Partnership was created to protect and enhance the environment and minimize the negative impact on the area. With loving support, the breasts of the Cailleach will continue to be imposing figures on the Scottish landscape.

365 Goddess: A Daily Guide To the Magic and Inspiration of the goddess, Patricia Telesco
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Nevis
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/2013/11/loop-of-brighid-bride-the-cailleach-and-nicnevin/
https://journeyingtothegoddess.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/goddess-nicneven/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicnevin

© Ajna DreamsAwake

Ajna DreamsAwake is a High Priestess and founder of Dark Moon's Heart School.  Her personal journey of self-discovery continues as she supports and guides women along their own healing paths.

Back to top.

OWM Awareness

White Moon Happenings

Student Achievements

Oles Fergus has completed Level I and is now an Initiate and member of the Order of the White Moon. Please take a look at her lovely project on the Goddess Arianrhod in the Goddess Gallery.

Dark Moon's Heart is proud to announce that AmberRose Michael has completed Level 1 of the White Moon lessons and is now an Initiate and Lifetime Member of the Order. You can see her gorgeous project on Anuket in the Goddess Gallery.

OWM News

August Mini Gathering

In August, several OWM sisters gathered in a park in Northern Virginia to share in our love of Goddess and to connect face to face. We had a picnic lunch, read tarot for each other and spent time chatting and connecting. Our dear High Priestess Peace Whitehorse showed us how to use divining rods, which was absolutely fascinating! We learned how to detect auras with the rods and how to locate missing items. It was very useful and very much appreciated! Thank you, Peace!

Welcome New Students!

We are delighted to welcome each and every one of our new students. We are always happy when sisters find their way to OWM!

More About OWM

If you're not an OWM student and you'd like to learn more about the Order of the White Moon, the schools offering Traditional White Moon Studies, or browse the Goddess Gallery, we welcome you to learn about us. You can connect with OWM on social media! Follow us on Twitter at @OrderWhiteMoon for regular updates on Seasons of the Moon, the Weekly Tarot Zodiac and other OWM's public outreach programs. Our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/orderwhitemoon. Visit and like us! The Twitter feed and Facebook page are available to the public. Feel free to share these links. We appreciate your feedback so please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

May the Peaceful, Compassionate and Healing Presence of the Goddess be with you now and always.

HP Ka Wahine Ahi is the President of the Board of Directors and the Head of the Order. She teaches White Moon lessons to women in the school that she founded, The Sisters of the Rising Moon School of the Feminine Divine.

Back to top.

The Bardic Soul: Poetry and Song for the Spirit

Meal Blessing

Great Mother Goddess,
Great Father God,
We pray blessings upon the food,
We pray blessings upon the hearth,
We pray blessings upon family and friends,
We pray blessings upon Mother Earth,
We pray blessings upon all who need.
Let no one hunger,
Let no one thirst.
So mote it be.

© Peace Whitehorse, December 2011

Back to top.

Halloween

Everyone is dressing up,
Strange things are being seen.
It's the season of Samhain,
That some call Halloween.

Cowans dress up like witches.
Magick is in the crisp cool air.
Now Witches can dress up, too,
And their attire draw no stare.

Lots of treats are handed out,
A few tricks are given, too.
Prayers are said for the dead
The veil is thin now, true.

It's the Witches' New Year,
A wondrous time for all!
But especially for the Goddess‐folk,
And the fairies of the Fall.

© Peace Whitehorse, September 2016

Peace Whitehorse is a graduate of The Sacred Three Goddess School and a High Priestess in the Order of the White Moon.  She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and her Shetland sheepdogs, and is active in Sheltie Rescue.

Back to top.

Broomstick Flying at Midnight

The moons are the color of blood tonight;
The trees in their dark green leaves are swaying,
And the scarlet lights make it perfect for flying.
Out the window, I see my Sisters waiting for me,
Perched on their broomsticks in formation.

I look in the mirror and anchor my pointed hat,
So it will stand up to the strong winds outside;
Then I run down to the kitchen to find my
Favorite riding broom, and tie on some ribbons,
The colors of our riding group.

"Come Lizzie, we're waiting!" they call out to me,
Impatient to practice our drills and perfect them
So that we can go looking for stormy weather
Afterwards. We go up high enough that the
Humans can't see us, as we practice our turns
And swoops.

Now it's time to go look for some rain and wind,
So we travel to we find some fine fierce winds
To fly into and join. What exhilaration! Feeling
The winds rush through our hair, the rain tearing
At our clothes, we laugh and even fly upside
Down and backwards! (My cat wouldn't like that)!

On the way back, we twirl around poles on our
Brooms, to practice precision and balance;
Buzz some livestock, and whirl around houses
To make the dogs bark. This is our Wednesday
Night Formation Group, and we are the pride of
Our fair city.

We are the witches of Salem‐Turnopia, and are
Famous in the Witchie Set for our broom flying…
(Unfortunately, also for some of the mischief
Our younger members get into). We went through
The drive‐in window to get burgers, but we stayed
In a formation line. Their eyes got really wide!
Hee, hee! (Cackle)…

Then we flew up to some branches in the trees
To eat our burgers and gossip, swinging our
Buckled shoes, and passing around a flask that
Briar had brought along.

But soon enough, it was time to go home. I had
To put my broom away, fix sandwich lunches for
The kids, and put on my footed pajamas. But
The mundane things of life were okay with me
Tonight…I had gone flying with my Sister witches,
And life was brighter…we had felt &squot;as one&squot; with
The spirits of the Air.

© Beth Johnson October 18, 2005
(Mystic Amazon)

Mystic Amazon is a High Priestess of the Order of the White Moon and an Ordained Minister, currently teaching at Sisters of the Rising Moon School. Her hobbies include writing, folk art, folk magick, Reiki, and reading.  

Back to top.

Yuletide's Here

Yuletide, Yuletide!
Yuletide's here!
Pine and lights up,
Never a fear!

Old Saint Nicholas
Comes a‐calling
Leaving boys and girls
A train, a dolly.

Yule log burning
In the hearthfire.
Holly trimmings
And festive attire!

Snow has fallen,
Icicles hang.
Merry the carolers,
Carols they sang.

Magick is seen
In sparkle on snow,
In children's smiles,
In the hearthfire's glow!

© Peace Whitehorse, September 2016

Peace Whitehorse is a graduate of The Sacred Three Goddess School and a High Priestess in the Order of the White Moon.  She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and her Shetland sheepdogs, and is active in Sheltie Rescue.

Back to top.

Phoenix Rising

Link to listen and download:

https://mysticalstrings.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/phoenix_rising.mp3

From the ash She arises
And to it She returns
Appearing, disappearing, re-appearing.

Yet there is no birth
No death
No rebirth.

The Phoenix lives always
Just in different forms
And so do we.

Neither created
Nor destroyed
Only transformed!

From the ash we arise
And to it we return
Appearing, disappearing, re-appearing
In form, perhaps,
But in Spirit, we exist always.

© Crystal Spiritweaver

Crystal is a Level 1 student in The Sacred Three school. Music has always been important to her and is a joyful expression of her spiritual path.

Back to top.

Crystal's Collection

Music Review

It's Time Goddess Chants by Susun Weed

From the upbeat title track, to Zsuzsanna "Z" Budapest's "We all Come from the Goddess," to the awe-inspiring "In The Heart of My Womb Lies My Power" by Marie Summerwood, this 18-track album is a celebration of Goddess in all her forms and stages. I discover it during a search on CD Baby for Goddess music. It is particularly helpful to women who are menstruating, but would rather not. Maybe it's painful; maybe you don't want to have children so don't see the point; we denigrate menstruation for so many reasons. All are gently blown away like dandelion puffs in this beautiful musical moon journey.

Susun Weed herself calls the album "wise woman goddess chants, fun and folksy." I agree, with hints of jazz, traditional chanting, early renaissance music with recorder, a few well‐sung rounds perfect for a women's gathering, and even a goat song ‐ "Goatie Goat". The album notes give extensive information on credits, the recording process, and stories behind each song. I enjoy all the Goddess music in my collection. But each time I return to It's Time, I remember that truly, it is time to be the Goddess.

This album is available from CD Baby as a physical CD only: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/susunweed

CD Baby is an independent music store where up to 91% of the purchase price is paid directly to the artist. It's a great way to support the music and artists you enjoy ‐ and discover new ones!

© Crystal Spiritweaver

Crystal is a Level 1 student in The Sacred Three school. Music has always been important to her and is a joyful expression of her spiritual path.

Back to top.

Recipes fit for a Goddess

Rumballs